Thursday, October 9, 2014

Tell Us Your Story...

I'm sure I've discussed this before, right?  How 99% of what is done at FHI is done by volunteers?  Crazy, dedicated, amazing folks who carve out time in their busy days to come to Fair Hill on the Thursday before competition begins to decorate.  Move bleachers.  Set up dog agility rings and vet boxes.  Decorate some more.  Create signage.  Paint.

And then those same crazy, dedicated folks go home to a place where there's power and internet and they share.  They share their photos with me so I can share them with you.  They share their ideas.  They share their concerns.  This is when the real work gets done - at 10PM on a Thursday night, on a laptop computer.  With kids, husbands, wives, etc either milling around you or sound asleep in their beds upstairs.

I was wondering tonight - what do all our lovely volunteer folks DO when they are not here volunteering?  I am embarrassed to admit that despite all the time I spend with them, I for the most part have no idea.  I mean, I know Rupert is on about 78 million boards and committees for various things.  And I know he has bee hives at home.  Aaaaand...  that's all I've got.

So let's learn a bit more about us, can we?  Let's share.  Post a little something in the blog comments or on the Facebook page.  What do you do with yourselves when you're not volunteering with FHI?

I'll start - I am a stay-at-home mom.  My kids are five and almost two.  I do a vast majority of FHI social media stuff during nap time and after kids are in bed.  I started with FHI in 2003 and I have done everything from Special Events to Endurance Ride Manager to Driving Stable Manager to my current role as Social Media Person.

How about you?  What's your story?

Frank and Chey put in posts for the fencing for the vet box
Chey and Eddie sprucing up the bridge that goes from VIP Parking to the VIP Tent.  Which I am sure is unnecessary, as it's NOT.  GOING.  TO.  RAIN.

Steve Morrison is our Master Arena Dragger, who gets the Main Arena footing looking and feeling so lovely every year.

New Kids Corner location!  We pushed Dog Agility down a little bit, so now we've got Kids, Mini Horses, and Dog Agility all in the same area.  What could go wrong?
Country Shops as seen from the warm-up rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment